Back in Minnesota, I have decided to keep the blog thing going in order to chronicle my asian cooking adventures. I am obsessed. I will be the first to admit. So very different from my experience in India. After a month of being force fed the most unbelievable curry, I couldn't stand the smell of it. Vietnam was a slightly different. First of all, I had control over how much food entered my body. Second, nobody was standing over me, watching, judging, as I ate. Needless to say, I am still hungry for Vietnamese food. Lots of it.
One of my first missions upon return to the great M.N. was to head to Nicollet Ave and find me some good asian eats. It has been said that Minneapolis has some of the best vietnamese food outside of Vietnam (if you want a source...go google it). and I agree. I headed to Quang Restaurant [www.quangrestaurant.com 2719 Nicollet Avenue Minneapolis, MN (612) 870-4739] on a Saturday afternoon and the place was PACKED. For good reason. The Phó tasted as though I was still sitting in that roadside food stall in Saigon.
One of my first missions upon return to the great M.N. was to head to Nicollet Ave and find me some good asian eats. It has been said that Minneapolis has some of the best vietnamese food outside of Vietnam (if you want a source...go google it). and I agree. I headed to Quang Restaurant [www.quangrestaurant.com 2719 Nicollet Avenue Minneapolis, MN (612) 870-4739] on a Saturday afternoon and the place was PACKED. For good reason. The Phó tasted as though I was still sitting in that roadside food stall in Saigon.
Glancing down at the counter, I saw them. In all their amazing rice crepe glory. Bánh cuón tóm thit. (the accent marks are so not right on that one..once I figure out technology I will fix it). In plain English: Soft Crepé Spring Rolls. Also referred to as a Little Piece of Heaven. Soft, melt-in-your-mouth rice crepés are folded with pork, shrimp and wood ear mushrooms.
fresh herbs and chicken sausage, these make the perfect breakfast. or snack. or dinner. or whenever you want something amazing. At Quang, these pancakes are the real deal. Served with all the necessary accompaniments, made fresh, and for only seven bucks. GO TRY THEM. P.S. only served Saturday mornings, and I suggest you get there early. Here is a picture to wet the appetite...
When I first had them at a hostel somewhere between the central highlands and Me Kong, they only had mushrooms. Delicious. Dipped in a sweet fish sauce and accompanied by
fresh herbs and chicken sausage, these make the perfect breakfast. or snack. or dinner. or whenever you want something amazing. At Quang, these pancakes are the real deal. Served with all the necessary accompaniments, made fresh, and for only seven bucks. GO TRY THEM. P.S. only served Saturday mornings, and I suggest you get there early. Here is a picture to wet the appetite...After grabbing some Phó and crepés to go, I headed across the street to the Asian market. and spent about an hour checking everything out. I was in heaven. Everything you could need to make whatever spectacular asian dish imaginable. Not to mention an insane meat and seafood selection. If you need ofal, or shrimp, at a seriously good price, this is your place.

No comments:
Post a Comment