Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DaLat

Today was amazing. Spent the day cruising the countryside around dalat with our own personal guides on motorcycles. beautiful. and got to eat some amazing food. family style.



also tried some snake wine. vodka infused with snake. no joke. stuff was toxic, but good



there is also bird wine, but we didn't get around to trying it. ok with me



mmmm...home cooking :)



dalat is a gorgeous city and so much cooler. summer in vail temps, much more my style. very influenced by the French, architecture is nicer to look at then Saigon.






THEN...the best meal so far. seriously. we went on the hunt for "duck restaurant" Anthony Bourdain ate at while in Dalat. Down a little street, far away from the tourist center we found it. distinguishable only by the beautiful cooked ducks in the display case. Sitting down and ordering two, we were definitely the entertainment. all the locals looked at us curiously probably wondering how we found the place, and why in the hell we were interested in eating thier duck. the girl sittimg across from me even offered up her discount card for hamburgers and pizza at a local chain restaurant. I smiled, and politely refused; explain that yes, I enjoy Vietnamese food so much more than my own native food. back to the duck...this woman is amazing. yes that is a huge cleaver.



this is what she creates with her god given skills



OH MY GOD. doesn't look like much, but this duck will bring tears to your eyes.

in other news: tomorrow we leave on a journey through central highlands and down to the Mekong delta. on motorcycles with our own private guides. dig it. so, I will be abandoning you for a bit. Just know I am happy as a clam meeting natives and eating like a god. :)

bissous

Location:Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai,Dà Lat,Vietnam

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessing about food...one day at a time

I'm not a chef. Not a writer. Just a genuine food lover and travel junkie. Eating, exploring, learning, wandering, loving, bitching. I do it all.