Wednesday, May 12, 2010

tUk-Tuk

WARNING: It is 5am, I can't sleep, so I am writing..this is going to be a long one..get a cup of coffee.

Survived day one of travel. Spent the day exploring Bangkok. and by golly, explore we did. Wandering the streets, looking somewhat discombobulated, a very nice Thai man pointed out the Bangkok map posted to a stop light. Kindly, I replied we were just wandering. In true Thai fashion he offered up a bucket load of good advice. Apparently the Thai government was running some special, where for 30baht (that's ONE DOLLAR people) a tuk-tuk would drive you around Bangkok to all the major tourist sites -and a few attempts to get you to buy gems, suits, etc-. HOLY CRAP! I replied and we quickly jumped in the next Tuk-Tuk. Let it be known that a tuk-tuk is a three-wheeled contraption outfitted with a quite comfortable seat in the back, is decorated brightly, and speeds through the traffic of Bangkok like on a death mission. (sorry mom, don't worry, I survived) I have determined that no matter what the books say, this is the best way to see the city. You can reach out and touch the car next to you, get covered in exhaust and dirt, and get all the smells and sounds which are so necessary for a sucessful Bangkok experience. Be warned, the tuk-tuk driver WILL try to rip you off. Negotiate price FIRST, and be ready to walk away (thanks Dad for that lesson). I guarantee they won't let you. You will win.

Our tuk-tuk driver, by the way, was AWESOME. He chauffered us around Bangkok with true professionalism. We saw all the major Buddhist Temples, but to be honest, I had much more fun cruising around in our little tuk-tuk. Plus, lets not lie, we are on a mission for food here, not temples; and let me tell you, food was delivered. Breakfast consisted of fried rice created by the cutest little thai woman on the street outside the first temple we visited. A huge wok, fresh veggies, and a ton of chilies equals the best breakfast so far. Sitting on a plastic stool, we quickly covered our rice with the necessary condiments, all set out for our use. Chilie oil, dried chilies, fish sauce, salt, and more chilies. YUM. I alsmot cried I was so happy.

Who has a custom tailored thai silk suit? yeeeaaahh...thats right, Lauren does. and for an insanely cheap price. I couldn't resist. Big-Girl job interviews, you have no idea what is coming. While drinking a nice cold thai beer, Chase and I were measured and covered with different fabrics. Half hour later, we walked out of the shop with the promise of a sweet. sweet suit upon on our return to Bangkok. dig it.

After walking around to the multiple restaurants located in our hotel (we upgraded..this place is nice) determined checking out the 7-11 at end of street was our best bet. Let it be known that 7-11 in Bangkok are my new favorite place. Maybe it is the small plastic stools, under a bright flurocent light with traffic flying by at high speed. Or could be the exhaustion and humidity causing delirium. Whatever it is, those noodles tasted like they fell from heaven. and for one dollar. I am telling you people, if you come to Asia and eat at the hotel you are an IDIOT.

Today we leave for Saigon, Vietnam.. I am BEYOND excited. Return to Bangkok on the 26th (for you mom) Now off to do some sunrise yoga on the roof. yeah...you are jealous. :) bissous!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren,
    Sounds like you are having a great time.... Nothing like a tuk-tuk and noodles to make one happy! Photos should be good. Shared the blog address with Grandma so she can follow your adventures. Thanks for keeping us updated... Love reading this...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

obsessing about food...one day at a time

I'm not a chef. Not a writer. Just a genuine food lover and travel junkie. Eating, exploring, learning, wandering, loving, bitching. I do it all.